Vegetables Au Gratin
½lb haricot beans
1 red pepper
1 head broccoli
1 teaspoon basil
2oz white plain flour
1 pint milk or soya milk
¼lb cheese or soya cheese
- Cook and cool the potatoes and haricot beans, separately.
- Chop the onion and fry in oil until softened.
- Slice the courgettes and dice the pepper before adding to the onion and cooking until soft.
- Blanch the broccoli florets, slice the mushrooms and add along with the basil to the cooking vegetables.
- Season well and fry until soft.
- Add the fresh parsley and beans.
- Pour into an ovenproof dish.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes and slice them.
- Now make the roux sauce, firstly meting the margarine and then mixing in the flour whilst stirring continuously.
- Slowly pour in the milk and stir until you have a smooth sauce.
- Bring to the boil to thicken and reduce the heat.
- Season well.
- Place the potato slices over the veg in the dish.
- Pour the roux sauce over the potatoes and top generously with cheese.
- Bake at Gas Mark 6 for ¾ of an hour.