Thai Spiced Broccoli & Red Pepper Soup
Here is one of the new favourite café soup recipes, spicy but not too hot and full of flavour. Nice at any time of the year as a starter or a tasty lunch.
1 Large ripe Red Pepper
1 Large head of Broccoli
2 Sticks Celery
1 Large Carrot
1 Medium Onion
1 Piece Lemon Grass
3 Centimetres Ginger
1 Hot Chilli Pepper
3-4 Cloves Garlic
50g Creamed Coconut
1 to 1 ½ Pints Water
A little Vegetable Oil
- Cut the pepper in half, deseed and remove the stalk.
- Rub with oil and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Roast in a moderate oven for 10 to 15 minutes until soft but not coloured.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion, leek, celery and carrot and sauté gently in a little oil.
- Put the garlic, ginger, chilli and lemongrass in a blender, with the juice and zest of the lime and blend to a paste.
- Add this paste to the onion mixture and carry on cooking until soft.
- Add a pint of the water and turn up the heat.
- Roughly chop the broccoli and add to the pan.
- Once it is boiling, allow to cook for 5 minutes and then add the creamed coconut and the roast pepper.
- Blend and season to taste.
- It should be about the same consistency as double cream. If it is too thick add more water and reheat.