Delicious savoury sauce to add a certain je ne sais quoi, oh so very special to veggie bangers and mash.
1 Large Onion
1oz (25g) Margarine
1 Heaped Tablespoon Flour
10 fl oz (300ml) Water or Vegetable Stock
1 Bay Leaf
Pinch Dried Sage
Salt and Pepper
Dash of Shoyu
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Melt the margarine in a heavy pan and sauté the onion with the sage and bay leaf for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for another 10 minutes until the onion is very soft and the flour has browned. Keep your eye on it and stir when necessary. Do not let the flour burn.
- Now gradually add the water, stirring to prevent lumps, and bring to the boil.
- Add the shoyu and seasoning and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve as it is or blend into a smooth sauce.