Lentil & Coconut Soup
If you are looking for something really smooth, creamy and satisfying, that is not served in a pint glass then look no further, here is your man. Creamed coconut and lentils just seem to go together like all the best similes!
2 ½ Pints Water
1 Block Creamed Coconut
8oz Red Lentils
1 Medium Onion
12oz tin peeled plum Tomatoes, or chopped tomatoes
1 dessert spoon Sunflower Oil
Salt & Pepper
- Peel and chop the onions finely and fry in a large pan with the oil until soft.
- Meanwhile wash the lentils in several changes of water.
- When the onions are soft add the water to the onion pan, add the lentils and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally to prevent the lentils from sticking.
- Add the coconut, it is better if you can break it or cut it into pieces first, and then turn down the heat and simmer stirring every now and then and removing any foam.
- Open the tin of tomatoes, strain the liquid into the pan and then chop or blend the tomatoes before adding them as well. If you've splashed out on a tin of chopped tomatoes just pour them in. Bring back to the simmer, cover and let cook.
- Keep an eye on the soup as it simmers and make sure that as the lentils cook they do not absorb all the liquid and begin to burn. If it threatens to become solid rather than liquid add more water! Cook until the lentils become a smooth paste, this can take up to an hour.
- Wash and finely chop the parsley, add to the pan, season and serve.