Beetroot & Apple Salad
The flavours of beetroot and apple seem to go so well together that it is a surprise more dishes do not contain the combination. Granny Smith apples do very nicely or failing that any firm greenish apple, avoid the ghastly Golden Delicious if you can.
4 Small Cooked Beetroot
2 Tablespoons Toasted Sesame Seeds
3 Green Apples
2 Pineapple Rings - optional
1 Large Sprig Parsley
8 Tablespoons French Dressing
- Toast the sesame seeds either on a tray in a hot oven or in a heavy pan on top of the stove until they go light brown, be careful not to burn them.
- Wash, core and slice the apples into thin wedges.
- We have presumed that you will use ready processed beetroot, the sort that come in vacuum packs. If you are using fresh beetroot just scrub them and boil in plenty of water to which you have added a couple of tablespoons of vinegar. This helps to keep the colour from bleeding out. When they are cooked let them cool, the skin will peel off in your fingers.
- Chop the beetroot into small dice. Cut the pineapple into small wedges.
- Peel the carrot and grate finely.
- Wash, drain and finely chop the parsley.
- Mix all together well and then add eight tablespoons of French Dressing, either shop bought, or as below.